Saudi Polymers Company (SPCo):

The Saudi Polymers Company is a limited liability company with a capital of (1,406) million Saudi riyals, with commercial registration No. 2055008886 issued by the city of Jubail on 11/29/1428 AH (corresponding to 12/9/2007 AD). The project is located in Jubail Industrial City, and the company owns 65 %. The remaining part, amounting to 35%, is owned by Chevron Phillips Arab Chemicals Company. The project’s production began in the last quarter of 2012, and it produces the following products:

Project Description:

The Saudi Polymers Project uses a steam crusher to process 60 million cubic feet of ethane and 40 thousand barrels per day of propane to produce 1,220 thousand annual tons of ethylene and 440 thousand tons of propylene used in derivative units. The derivative teams consist of 100 thousand annual tons of hexane – 1,1100 thousand tons annually of polyethylene (PE), 400 thousand tons annually of polypropylene (PP), and 200 thousand tons annually of polystyrene (PS).

Uses and description of products:

High-density polyethylene (HDPE)

The HDPE market can be divided into eight uses: films, fibers, blow molds, injection molds, pipes and conduits (wire ducts), rotational molding, and other services. HDPE is more complex than different types of polyethylene, which is why it is used primarily for formwork applications, which account for approximately half of the global HDPE market. Applications for blow molds include storage tanks, containers, drums, technical applications for fuel tanks for the automotive sector, and containers for intermediate liquid materials. Injection molds cover a wide range of consumables and household items.

Polypropylene (PP)

Polypropylene is one of the plastic industries’ most versatile and least expensive polymers. Polypropylene achieves part of the growth in demand for it by replacing other polymers, especially in some applications such as polystyrene in disposable items or thermoforming, and its high-temperature resistance has gained it limited acceptance in microwaveable food containers and utensils that can be used in Electric dishwashers are safe.

Polystyrene (PS)

Polystyrene is a versatile polymer used in disposable packaging products and producing electronic devices. Two main types are General Purpose Polystyrene (GPPS) and High Durability Polystyrene (HIPS). General Purpose Polystyrene (GPPS) is the most widely used and is generally preferred for its ease of processing and use in an extensive range of uses with low specifications. Polycarbonate contains Heavy-duty styrene with a small percentage of polybutadiene, a synthetic rubber coating that improves strength and impact resistance. Heavy-duty polystyrene is used to protect computer monitors, televisions, etc.


Hexane-1 is used to produce polyethylene to improve the quality of the product. The hexane-1 market is dominated by polyethylene production, representing approximately 90% of demand, so the growth of polyethylene will continue to be driven by the development of hexane-1.

Saudi Chevron Phillips Company, Jubail Chevron Phillips Company, and Saudi Polymer Company work within integrated units to ensure an efficient and low-cost manufacturing process capable of competing in global markets and providing the basis for future financial investments. However, any of the three projects (Saudi Chevron Phillips Company, Jubail Chevron Phillips Company, and Saudi Polymers Company) can independently supply feedstock and market the product. Still, the relative economy is enhanced by integrating operating and shared facilities.